40 Days #05 | Fasting
What You Will Hear
Our consumeristic culture in America has taken the “we want what we want when we want it” and turned it into an art form. Today, on the podcast, Pastor Tim introduces the spiritual discipline of fasting, which is one of the best ways to combat this entitled value.
Fasting is a way to deny yourself and focus on God. It is a God ordained way to confront your sense of entitlement, the places you have allowed comfort and excess, and spoiled yourself. Your reward will be a deeper sense of God and a stronger ability to get through harder times closer to God. Your center will not be so easily shaken.
Tips For Fasting
- Start slowly. Try sun-up to sun-down with a light meal before and after your fast.
- It’s good to have fruit juice to consume throughout the day.
- Use meal times for prayer and meditation.
- Pay attention to what is happening in you and invite God into those things.
- Try other forms of fasting, like from media, technology, spending or luxuries.